I love blogging. I have blogged personally for years at adamjwalker.com and here as well. In the course of blogging on WordPress for about the last 13 years there are a few plugins I have grown to love, so here is my top 5 list.
5 Best WordPress Blogging Plugins to Start 2017
- Editorial Calendar – I love this plugin because it makes it easy to plan out when I want my content to drop. I can see when posts that I write in advance will publish and make sure that my blog posts are coming out in a steady cadence. This is great to use if you are blogging by yourself, but it’s especially effective if you are writing as a part of a team and you are all scheduling posts ahead of time.
- Yoast SEO – This is the most widely used SEO plugin for blogging, and for good reason. It does more than just allowing you to set meta tags and information, it also does a basic analysis of your blog post’s content and makes suggestions on how to improve the post for better SEO rankings. If you know nothing about SEO, just install this plugin and follow the online tutorials on how to use it and you will be making a lot of progress in SEO in no time.
- Disqus Comment System – This is a plugin that works with Disqus, which is a platform for your comments. So technically, this goes beyond just being a plugin. But, I put this on the list because I love out Disqus works and takes the ability for commenting and feedback to the next level.
- WP-Markdown – If you aren’t familiar with Markdown, you should take a look at it. Markdown is a quick why of writing in plain text and having that plain text auto-converted to HTML. Using Markdown as a part of writing a blog post just saves time and allows you to keep your hands on the keyboard rather than pointing and clicking all over the place. I’m a big fan of Markdown; you should check it out.
- Jetpack by WordPress.com – Jetpack is the ultimate plugin. It was created by WordPress.com and has a ton of plugins inside of it that are amazing. I need to write a post about the 5 best features in Jetpack, but that will be for another day. If you aren’t already using this, take a look, it will be worth it.
Big News - We're Stronger Together!
By Adam Walker - Aug, 01 2019
Episode 123 - Simple is not easy.
By Adam Walker - Jul, 23 2019
Episode 122 - Bring in user-generated content and rely on digital ambassadors
By Adam Walker - Jul, 10 2019